© 2018 - Healing Light Viseum
Noncommercial reprint rights granted with inclusion of copyright notice.
Church lit by Moore tubes, 1898
The first experiments with glow discharge
date back to the midst of the 19th
century. Well known are the experiments
of Heinrich Geissler and Alexandre
Becquerel who demonstrated the effects
of low pressure gas discharge to a wide
public. In 1898 it was Daniel McFarlan
Moore who first succeeded in
constructing suitable glow discharge
lamps. The yield of his lamps, consisting
of glass tubes filled with carbon dioxide,
was quite poor however and had to be
tenths of meters long to produce a
sufficient amount of light. Application of
the Moore tubes therefore stayed limited to large rooms like churches and theatres.
The fluorescent tube light (TL) glow discharge lamps as used in lighting- and sunlamp
applications, were only introduced around 1934.